2 or 3 tablespoons Women’s Work Hotdog Relish
Home made (recipe below) or best quality store bought gnocchi
2 best pork sausages (with thyme or fennel is yum), filling removed and crumbled – or you could make tiny meatballs if you prefer
4 rashers of finely chopped bacon
3 cloves finely chopped garlic
Best quality olive oil to taste
Finely chopped fresh parsley
Grated parmesan or another favourite cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
For the gnocchi
3 floury potatoes, skin on, well cleaned
2 whole eggs
375 g strong flour plus extra for kneading and rolling
Salt to taste
A little water if needed
- Boil or bake the potatoes until tender. Remove the skins and mash thoroughly.
- Put flour, salt and eggs into a large bowl and add mashed potato when cold.
- Mix with your hands adding more flour if the dough is too wet and adding water if it becomes too dry.
- Let dough rest for 1 hour at room temperature if it is a cool day or in the fridge if it is very hot.
- Divide dough into 5 or six pieces using some extra flour if needed.
- Roll each piece of dough into a sausage shape and then cut each sausage into small pieces.
- Put on a large pot of salted water to boil.
- When at a rolling boil, add 5 or 6 pieces of gnocchi to the water and leave until they float to the surface.
- Remove the cooked gnocchi with a slotted spoon and put in a colander. Repeat for all pieces.
- In a large flat pan (we like to use a paella) heat a good glug of olive oil and gently fry the bacon.
- Add the crumbled sausage meat and keep stirring while it cooks.
- Add the garlic and salt and pepper
- Add the boiled gnocchi and add more oil if needed/wanted
- Stir in the Women’s Work Hotdog Relish
- Garnish with parsley, serve with finely grated parmesan